Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Nature beckons.


I've never been the sort to love getting muddy and dirty. Or let hundreds of insects swarm around me. Sadly in a tropical country like Singapore, that's pretty much what you get when you try going hiking into a forest.

In my mind, nature is beautiful. The grass is soft, lush and green. The kind of grass you wouldn't mind to have as a bed. The Sun peaks through the outlines of each leaf, casting their shadows on me. It's warm, the kind of warmth you feel as you sip hot chocolate on a stormy day or the first few moments as you snuggle under your blanket in an airconditioned room. 

As much as right here, every tree is strategically spaced about 1.5m apart and the fallen leaves are raked periodically so you only get to admire them for awhile before everything is clean and green again. I love it. I love the view. I love watching flowers fall. I love walking 6 kilometres for this. Even though it's next to a canal, all I see is a beautiful river that is surrounded by the dense greenery. There's this special white bird that is always there, striking a muscle pose. I smile to myself every time I catch the train of my thoughts ongoing about how beautiful this is. How God is just so amazing. 

Not only that, the amount of cute old people I meet really impacts me as well! On my recent long walk, I smiled at the old man that was on a wheelchair. I would believe he suffered a stroke as he seemed to be paralysed and incapable of making much facial expression. The maid pushing him was obliviously talking on the phone as he stared forward. I smiled at him, hoping that it would brighten his day. And in return, with every effort, he tried to smile back as much as it was difficult for him. As I watch his lips form that crooked smile, I thought to myself, that's all it takes. 

Every walk is a journey. I get to know myself better after I clear my head, I get to be inspired and impacted by the silence conversations I have through smiles and peoples' eyes. I get refreshed. I would say, it is God's best form of communication to me. 

And I honestly love it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment